Build a Custom Fire Pit
Expand Your Living Space
Type of Firepit
Built-in, custom fire pit or premade fire pit. Most every home improvement store sells several different types of free-standing fire pits. These can be set up rather quickly.
If you are looking to add a custom built fire pit, there are more things to consider.
Whatever you choose, just make sure it is safe for your situation.
Use of Firepit
Do you want a firepit to just keep you warm when enjoying time in the backyard or are you also wanting to use it to roast hotdogs, marshmallows or cook on it?
Choose a location for your fire pit
Fire Pit Safety
- Keep a fire extinguisher, bucket of water or garden hose nearby in case of an emergency.
- Don’t overload the fire pit with wood
- To maintain the fire pit, it is best to use seasoned hardwood.
Avoid burning trash, leaves, paper, cardboard , painted wood or plywood.
- Keep children and pets at a safe distance.
- Above ground firepits should be placed on a level, non-flammable surface
- All firepits should be kept at least 3 meters / 9 feet away from your house, shed, fence and wood supply. Also keep it away from your wood supply.
- Do not use flammable materials to light a fire. Gasoline, alcohol, kerosene or other combustible liquids
- Make sure the fire is out before heading inside for the night.
- Never leave any fire unattended, even for a minute as wind gusts can send sparks or flames to combustible materials.